Bleach for Nail Fungus

 

Nail fungus is not easily detected as it starts as a dark speck underneath the nail bed. It can spread quickly as it is protected by the nail itself. When you get afflicted with toenail fungus, there are plenty of treatment options that you can consider. There are prescription and over-the-counter medications, home remedies and for the worst cases of the infection, toenail removal surgery. Bleach is one home remedy that you can try to get rid of toenail infection. Aside from being effective, it is also very inexpensive and can already be found in your home.

How Safe is Bleach?

Bleach is a very strong liquid that kills germs, bacteria and fungi. It is a household item used for cleaning the home as well as in laundry. Being a cleaning agent, it is made up of strong ingredients that may cause irritation, allergies and other conditions that may aggravate your current situation. So if you are going to use it on your foot, you must exercise caution as it may cause adverse reaction on your skin and nails and any body part that it touches. Bleach should never be applied to your nail and skin undiluted. It should always be mixed with a large amount of water to diffuse the strong chemicals within. There are two ways you can use bleach for nail fungus.

Foot Soak

This method is the safest way in treating your toenail fungus using bleach. You only need a tablespoon of bleach to a gallon of water that you can put in a basin large enough for your foot to fit in. Soak the affected area for 30 minutes. Soak only the affected area and not the entire foot to avoid any reaction that the bleach may cause. Aside from curing the infection, bleach may also speed up in whitening your nails. Nail fungus will discolor the nails so using bleach has a double purpose. You get to cure the infection and whiten your nails simultaneously.

Bleach Paste

Now it is said that bleach should not be applied directly onto skin and nails undiluted. Using petroleum jelly on the nail prior to putting a drop or two of bleach will create a paste and the bleach will be dissolved into the petroleum jelly. The jelly is thick enough to hold the drops of bleach without it running down the skin. Let the solution stay for 15 minutes before rinsing your toes thoroughly.

Although bleach can be an effective solution in treating nail fungus, you should keep in mind that it may not be appropriate for everyone. You should test a small part of your foot with diluted bleach to see if you will have a reaction to the solution. If so, discontinue use and look for other safer and milder treatment options. Otherwise you can go ahead and wait up to 8 weeks for the infection to clear up. If 8 weeks have passed and you don’t see any improvement, consult your doctor so you can be prescribed the best treatment.