Nail fungus is one of the most common infections that older people are most likely to get. This type of infection is very easy to have. If you always get your nails wet for a long period of time probably because of a hobby or your job, always wear the same tight and sweaty shoes, have diabetes, low immune system or psoriasis, then the risk of you having a nail fungus is very high.
Some of the signs of having nail fungus are when your nails are becoming brittle, yellowish in color and separating from your skin. Getting rid of this fungus requires patience since it will not heal overnight. Aside from supplement and essential oils, you can also try using baking soda for nail fungus treatment.
Yes, the baking soda that you have in your kitchen and use for cooking and baking can also be used for personal care. It will not only get rid of the damaged nail, it can also help prevent the fungus from returning. Do not panic if you see your nail falling off. It will be replaced with a new and healthy nail again.
The steps below will guide you on how to prepare this very simple, natural and cheap home remedy.
- Mix baking soda with warm water.
- Carefully apply to the affected nail.
- Make sure to completely rinse the baking soda mixture away. For toenail fungus, ensure to dry your feet thoroughly before wearing your socks and shoes.
- Repeat the process for a few minutes twice a day.
Baking soda cannot kill the fungus because it does not contain any active ingredient that can do so, but it will stop the fungus from spreading and growing. One way to cure and kill the nail fungus is by combining vinegar and baking soda.
- Get something that you can soak your affected fingernails or toenails in and put enough water in it.
- Add 1 cup of your preferred vinegar (can be apple cider vinegar or white vinegar).
- Soak for not less than 15 minutes.
- Remove and let dry with paper towel.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda into the water and mix it well.
- Soak fingernails or toenails again for not less than 15 minutes.
- Pat dry with paper towels again.
- Repeat the process religiously twice a day for remarkable results.
Aside from vinegar, you can also mix baking soda with other essential oils such as basil oil, tea tree oil and sage oil. Tea tree oil contains antifungal properties that can effectively deal with the fungus. If you consistently follow the process below on a daily basis, the fungus will die and you will definitely enjoy having healthy and shiny nails like before.
- Mix baking soda and 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil, basil oil or sage oil.
- Gently put on the affected fingernails or toenails.
- It will be more effective if you cover with clean hand gloves and socks for 20 minutes.
- Use cool water to rinse the mixture off and pat dry with towels.
These steps are very much easy to follow. Just bear in mind that dealing with the problem nail fungus as early as possible is important rather than taking care of a serious one that is difficult to resolve later on.